Thursday, July 20, 2006

o2s training

i finally got back on the bike last night. unfortunately, another 10 days had elapsed since my last ride. that's a trend that's happening all too often. i, at least, had a good excuse this time...i'm recovering from bronchitis. i'm still coughing quite a bit but feel fine otherwise.

i decided a couple of laps at island lake would be a good start for me. what a nice night it was! i'm not a big fan of the heat and last night was perfect! it started out moderately and kept telling myself to keep that pace every time i felt like hammering. my lungs felt pretty damn good out there and the climbs were not a problem. the cheater bike is STILL having drivetrain issues. i'm still thinking it's the rear hub/freewheel. the chain kept skipping and dropped on one of the rooty uphills. frustrating. very frustrating. i'll try a thorough cleaning and then go from there.

i finish the first lap a few seconds under an hour which i was fine with and then stopped to hit my bottle of HEED. unfortunately, i had less than i thought...only 2 scoops...so i downed that along w/ 4 ecaps and was on my way for a second lap. as soon as i left the parking lot, i felt a slight twinge in my left calf. uh-oh, cramping already? c'mon, i just did 15 miles at island lake, there's no way i could be cramping up. well, i was. about 10 minutes into my second lap i could feel my quads start to cramp up. so, i was thinking to myself, 'man, i'm in terrible shape and will have to cut out early and just finish up blue'. the cramping got a little worse but i could tell the ecaps were keeping them at bay. by the time i reached the yellow turn-off, i said what the hay, and continued on. i'm glad i continued but damn, i had no energy left in my legs at the end. none. my legs were screaming at the end of that loop and i felt very weak and shaky when i got back to my car. a big reason for bonking was the number of calories i consumed during the day. only about 1000...and fairly low carb at that. i finished that second lap in a miserable 1:07...probably my slowest lap out there EVER! so, bottom line, i've got a LONG way to go to be ready for o2s. all of this not riding is catching up to me. my lungs, however, felt great the whole ride. i just need to get my legs used to pushing those pedals again. can you believe i've only done 203 miles since addison??? no wonder i'm cramping up at island lake. i still have time though...double poto anyone?

1 Comments:

Blogger Soupy said...

Can't ride this weekend, but I'll do a double Poto with you next weekend!!

12:21 PM, July 21, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home