Monday, March 27, 2006

a new love

after work, i went for my first-ever trail run! i've actually been enjoying my road and track runs as of late which is very surprising. i used to HATE running! i decided to hit maybury on my way home. i've hiked the xc hiking trail in the past and know there are a few small hills. much different than the basically flat roads i normally run. i took off at ten after six which would give me about 45 minutes of daylight. i looked at the trail map and it said the entire loop was 6 miles. i figured i wouldn't have time to do the whole loop since i assumed i'd be pretty slow my first time out. i did the loop out and around the pond and back to the lot and then went back into the woods for the other loop. i don't think i did the whole trail. i didn't want to go into uncharted territory with the darkness quickly descending upon me. i ended up doing forty minutes...i'm guessing about 4.5 miles. and a splendid 4.5 miles it was! i couldn't believe how much fun it was being out in the woods all by myself and enjoying the scenery rather than focusing on the trail while i'm pedalling my ass off! it was actually easier than i thought it was going to be. granted, maybury isn't the most technical trail, but it isn't flat like the roads either. i thought the hardest part was maintaining control going down the hills! i can't wait for the brighton x-terra race. i would like to do the novi trail race as well. i think that's sometime in june.

i've just been feeling pretty damn good lately. i lifted hard tonight since it's been about 4 days. bench, lat pulldowns, rows, shrugs, ez bar curls, reverse curls. unfortunately, i'll be stuck with the trainer tomorrow night. other than that, the week is looking pretty good. nice weather for wed. and thurs. i'd like to do a trail ride on thurs. if the conditions are okay.

oh yeah, a stroke of good luck! after getting back from a run last night, i noticed on the roof of my car, wedged under my bike rack were my Rudy's! after the ride saturday, the first thing i did was take off those road grime encrusted glasses and set them on the roof of my car. miraculously, they stayed on the car despite 75mph highway speeds! it's about time something went my way! it really would've sucked to have lost my $130 Rudy's i so adore. plus, it would've drove me nuts trying to figure out what happened to them!

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you do the entire loop at maybury it should only take you about 45 minutes. that way you dont have to cover much of the same ground 2x. Sounds awesome though- i really need to get out for a trail run.

8:39 AM, March 28, 2006  
Blogger Alden said...

i think i did cover most of it. i'll probably go back out there later this week to check out the little bits i didn't do. i'm hooked!

9:18 AM, March 28, 2006  
Blogger hodaddy/Joseph Foy said...

I've always wanted to try it. Not much of a runner though. Good Luck Alden.

10:41 AM, March 28, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home