Thursday, November 16, 2006

i'm a runnin' fool!

lightfest was a blast! well, the run part was anyway. we had a good turnout...11 of us in total along w/ the other 1000 runners/walkers. my achilles felt halfway decent when i got up so i was really hoping it wouldn't flare up during the race. i told junior i was gonna kick his ass. just a little spirited competition. the kid doesn't run so i thought i might have a chance at beating him. god knows i won't ever beat him on a bike!

i generally start my runs slowly. it takes about 2 miles for me to truly warm up and get into a rhythm. sure enough as i pass the 2 mile marker i have my breathing under control. i take a peek at my watch 16:00 on the nose. cool. 8 min miles. my goal was 40 mins for the 5 miler. right on target. now, the only question is can i keep this pace and can i outlast junior? he has an akward stride but he was going pretty good. i stayed about 5 seconds behind for the first 3 miles then i started picking things up. mile 3 goes by then mile 4. one more mile to go. chris is still right with me as was eric. half mile to go. i put the hammer down. i was running as fast as i could. i felt great. where's the finish? i thought i had dropped chris but out of nowhere he passes me on my left. damn that young whippersnaper. i was hoping the finish was a litte bit closer. so he's gone. i hear the announcer at the finish announcing times. 39:25. 39:35. oh shit, i need to keep going or i won't be under 40. i crossed the line at 39:47! yea! i finally achieved a goal! well, i didn't beat junior, but having him pace me throughout the race definitely helped me get under 40 mins. what a blast that was! i would totally do that again. i can't believe i like running. how weird.

so we waited around for the bus back to the start so we could get out of our wet clothes and get some food and beer. i felt pretty good aside from my aching achilles. luckily, they didn't bother me too much during the race but they were definitely on fire afterwards. i changed into a dry shirt and some jeans and hit the road. that was when it started. my body was aching...like it had the flu. it just got worse and worse until i finally got home and had the chills so bad i crawled straight into bed. my bones hurt. my head pounded. my skin was a touch pad for pain. i was soooooo cold. i couldn't stop shaking. then i started sweating. i hurt so bad i couldn't fall asleep. i thought i had come down with a serious case of the flu. i woke up around 6AM and surprisingly felt pretty decent. what gives? what the fuck happened to me the night before? could the flu go away that quickly? this stupid body of mine does some strange ass things. things that doctors can't even explain. oh well. i'm alive. i feel pretty decent. i can run. i can ride. i'm happy. mucho happy!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home