Thursday, February 16, 2006

day one

i've been meaning to put one of these together for a long time. for those of you who don't know me, i'm a chronic procrastinator. it's almost like a disease. one of my many illnesses. i'm only as perfect as the next human being.

i like to write. there was a time long ago that i kept a journal. you know, the old school pen and paper kind of journal. ah, those were the days! the days when i was in love with my sadness.

now, life is different. it still has it's ups and downs, but i think my biggest challenge is to stay healthy. i had a 1.5cm growth hormone secreting tumor removed on 06.07.04. my own d-day, if you will. man, did that tumor fuck me up! i'm not all disfigured or anything...uh, i guess that depends on who you ask. my real passion is mountain biking and staying in shape. the damage that i sustained because of the excess growth hormone is my only limiting factor. it is unbelievably frustrating. i really envy all my riding friends who can train as hard as they want w/o any worries of their bodies failing. i'm not talking about just getting sore or minor injuries. i'm talking about sudden cardiac death. scary stuff. yes, that damn tumor caused some thickening of my heart so it's not completely normal. it skips beats sometimes and doesn't feel so good others. BUT, i'm not just going to sit on my ass and let this stop me. i have too much to live for. life is too short to worry about dying.

so here i am, about 18 months post op and i feel like shit. don't get me wrong, i felt fantastic last fall. and what a fall it was! just the last month or so, i've been feeling like shit. some good news though...another clean mri and my hormone levels are in check. just found that out last week. it put a little bit of a setback on my training but it's still early in the season.

i'm so looking forward to racing season this year! i really hope my body will hold up to it. i'm probably crazy for even considering it but i'm planning on doing a 12 hr. solo race on 05.13. my insane riding friends have provided enough motivation for this 1/2 day torture-fest. will i be ready in less than 3 months? who knows? i take it one day at a time...

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Alden,

Glad to hear that your surgery for a growth hormone secreting macroadenoma went well. I've got a 1.5cm macroadenoma too.

Are you on any medication for this now or are your hormone levels normal without further treatment?

Trystan
PS I've added you to my list of bloggers in my acromegaly diary.

10:30 AM, January 16, 2009  

Post a Comment

<< Home